Global Mapper v14.1 is Now Available!
Blue Marble Geographics is pleased to announce the availability of the official
Global Mapper v14.1 release for download at
If you need the 64-bit version you can download and install that from
Numerous significant enhancements and bug fixes have been made to Global Mapper
since v10. The most significant changes are described below:
- A number of LiDAR processing improvements such as;
- Dramatic increase in LiDAR processing and display speed, and the ability to view and process point files in the hundreds of millions range. This is beneficial for previewing the data before processing and includes rendering intensity values in a variety of ways such as; limiting import by return type, statistics display and feature attribute editing
- Global Mapper Package (GMP) files are now able to store Lidar point clouds in a special compressed manner much smaller (4-10 times usually) than uncompressed LAS data in line with the best compression on the market today
- Ability to render the intensity values as grayscale images, coloring by LiDAR classification, and coloring by point elevation or RGB color if present
- Ability to limit import of LiDAR files by return type (like first, last, first of many, last of many return, etc.)
- Added display of a large number of statistics for LiDAR data
- Updated editing of LiDAR point features to have special edit dialogues for the attributes that apply to LiDAR point data
- Global Mapper Package (GMP) files now being able to store Lidar point clouds in a special compressed manner much smaller (4-10 times usually) than uncompressed LAS data
- New USB Dongle licensing available
- Added new Analysis menu (formerly the Terrain Analysis Menu) option to compute the areas covered when you raise the water level of selected areas or a fixed elevation by some height. This is useful for modeling the rise of a flood plain by some height or by modeling sea level rise
- Added option to Analysis menu to allow calculation of Voronoi/Theissen polygons for loaded point features
- New File Formats: GeoMedia MDB, DWG 2013, MapBox MBTiles and RMaps SQlite files for use on mobile devices like Andriod and much more
- Many new Digitizer tool improvements and bug fixes including a new option to Advanced Feature Creation submenu to create a coverage area (concave hull) for loaded or selected point features. This allows you to easily get the coverage for an irregularly shaped grouping of points, like in a Lidar data set
- Updated DigitalGlobe premium imagery with access to new DigitalGlobe servers with faster access to more up-to-date and higher resolution imagery in most locations
- Added support for specifying custom paper sizes for geospatial PDF export.
- Added MapQuest OpenAerial Worldwide Imagery as built-in source
- Load many geospatial PDF files at higher resolution
- Added built-in access to Geologic Map datasets for most of the world using the Download Online Imagery/Data menu
- Many enhancements to the Digitizer tool
- New format support for LogASCII, Norwegian SOSI export, PCI Geomatix PIX, NDVI in HDF5 format, EasyGPS .loc, and several others
- Added new network licensing option with borrow feature and concurrent seat access.
- New Geospatial PDF functionality like import/export to 64-bit versions, ability to select which layer to load and ability to load multi-page PDfs with geo-positioning.
- Significantly sped up depression filling step when generating watersheds/drainage areas.
- Added built-in access to land cover datasets and generation of grids from layers.
- Many new enhancements to the Digitizer tool.
- Added support for LAS 1.4 and LASzip (compressed Lidar) files.
- Added support for JeoJSON and Digital Bathymetric Database Variable Resolution (DBDB-V).
- Created native 64-bit version of Global Mapper, allowing users of 64-bit versions Windows to work with much larger data sets. This can be downloaded from http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_setup_64bit.exe .
- Support for importing/exporting GeoPDF® files!
- Support for exporting loaded vector data to DWG files.
- Added built-in access to global street-level maps from OpenStreetMap.org, NAIP color imagery for the US, worldwide ASTER GDEM terrain data, 10m (1/3rd arc second) US NED terrain data, MapMart on Demand, and US Parcel Data via the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command.
- Added support for numerous new formats, including ESRI Personal Geodatabase (MDB), BigTIFF, MrSID MG4 LIDAR, Vertical Mapper (MapInfo) Grid/Clutter, SOSI, QCT, QED, HTF, SPS, BAG, ARCS, and many others.
- The 3D Viewer now supports displaying 3D vector features in space above or below the terrain surface. You can also extrude 3D area features to create building-like displays.
- Added map layout support for easily adding margins, text, map legend, and north arrows to your map and setting up the display and location of the distance scale and elevation legend.
- Added support for automatically delineating stream networks and watershed areas using loaded terrain/DEM data using the File->Generate Watershed menu command.
- Built-in DigitalGlobe imagery access was significantly improved with much more worldwide data available.
- Added support for exporting multi-band GeoTIFF, BIL, and JPEG2000 files with 8, 16, or 32-bits per band.
- Added 'Area Styles', 'Line Styles', and 'Point Styles' tabs to Options dialog for vector layers allowing users to setup the styling of features in a layer. Now users can use the default type-based styling, apply a single style to all features in a layer, setup an attribute-based styling system that styles the features based on the value of an attribute value or the display label, or randomly assign colors to the features in a layer.
- Updated the Control Center to support assigning groups to selected layers via the right-click menu. Those groups can then be collapsed in the Control Center to allow easily selecting, closing, or hiding/showing that group.
- Added support for loading ESRI File Geodatabase (GDB) data sets.
- Added support for generating density grids from point features in a loaded layer. This density grid can be based on either just a count of the point features or any numeric attribute value associated with the points.
- Added support for joining a file with attributes to the attribute table of an existing loaded spatial layer against a common attribute.
- Added support for resampling raster and elevation layers using bicubic interpolation or a box average of size 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, or 7x7 in addition to the previously available options of nearest neighbor and bilinear interpolation. The "anti-alias" option on the Raster Options dialog has been replaced with one for selecting the sampling method to use.
- Added support to combine area features, find the intersection of area features, and crop line and areas features to a crop area on export to some vector formats.
- Added real-time display of current cursor information (location, distance, elevation) to 3D Path Profile dialog. In addition, you can now also click to define a sub-path on the 3D Path Profile dialog and get information about that sub-path displayed.
- Added support for scaling point symbols, adding custom point symbols from PNG, GIF, JPG, and (new vector) .gmsym files, and easily creating symbols of custom sizes and colors for common shapes, like dots, squares, etc.
- Added toolbar for Digitizer/Edit Tool to make it easier to perform many commonly used operations.
- Added ability to create new line features by tracing them without clicking at each vertex with the Digitizer/Edit Tool.
- Added ability to rotate and scale features using the Digitizer/Edit Tool.
- Added new GPS menu option to send any loaded data map directly to a compatible Garmin GPS device, such as a Colorado or Oregon handheld, for display as a raster map on the unit. This allows display of anything, including imagery, on compatible Garmin GPS devices!
- Added support for creating buffer areas some fixed distance around selected area and line features. This option is available from the Advanced Feature Creation submenu of the right-click menu in the Digitizer Tool.
- Added new EDIT_VECTOR script command (replacing the ASSIGN_TYPES command) to allow adding/updating feature attributes values and display labels, reclassifying features, rotating/scaling/offsetting feature coordinates, or marking features as deleted by searching loaded features for matches against their attributes/label values and/or types.
Many other enhancements and bug fixes were made as well. See the
page at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-new-features.php for a complete list of changes.
As always, upgrades and new licenses can be purchased from the Purchase page at