Global Mapper v14.2 is Now Available!
Blue Marble Geographics is pleased to announce the availability of the official
Global Mapper v14.2 release for download at
If you need the 64-bit version you can download and install that from
Numerous significant enhancements and new features have been made to Global Mapper since v12. The most significant changes are described below:
- Improved Volume Measurement Tools such as one too measure the volume difference within multiple area features.
- Added new right-click option to the ‘Search Vector Data’ dialog to allow calculating and displaying the statistics for a numeric column in a result set including minimum, maximum, average, and standard deviation.
- Many scripting updates and additions, including support for calculating attributes, splitting layers, and interactively prompting users for files and folders.
- Many LiDAR enhancements, including search by elevations, rendering of points based on return value, point loading slider bar, reporting tools for point cloud density, improved import/export options including point cloud to DXF/DWG.
- Additional LiDAR processing improvements such as;
- Dramatic increase in LiDAR processing and display speed, and the ability to view and process point files in the hundreds of millions range. This is beneficial for previewing the data before processing and includes rendering intensity values in a variety of ways such as; limiting import by return type, statistics display and feature attribute editing
- Global Mapper Package (GMP) files are now able to store Lidar point clouds in a special compressed manner much smaller (4-10 times usually) than uncompressed LAS data in line with the best compression on the market today
- Ability to render the intensity values as grayscale images, coloring by LiDAR classification, and coloring by point elevation or RGB color if present
- Ability to limit import of LiDAR files by return type (like first, last, first of many, last of many return, etc.)
- Added display of a large number of statistics for LiDAR data
- Updated editing of LiDAR point features to have special edit dialogues for the attributes that apply to LiDAR point data
- Global Mapper Package (GMP) files now being able to store Lidar point clouds in a special compressed manner much smaller (4-10 times usually) than uncompressed LAS data
- New USB Dongle licensing available
- Added new Analysis menu (formerly the Terrain Analysis Menu) option to compute the areas covered when you raise the water level of selected areas or a fixed elevation by some height. This is useful for modeling the rise of a flood plain by some height or by modeling sea level rise
- Added option to Analysis menu to allow calculation of Voronoi/Theissen polygons for loaded point features
- New File Formats: GeoMedia MDB, DWG 2013, MapBox MBTiles and RMaps SQlite files for use on mobile devices like Andriod and much more
- Many new Digitizer tool improvements and bug fixes including a new option to Advanced Feature Creation submenu to create a coverage area (concave hull) for loaded or selected point features. This allows you to easily get the coverage for an irregularly shaped grouping of points, like in a Lidar data set
- Updated DigitalGlobe premium imagery with access to new DigitalGlobe servers with faster access to more up-to-date and higher resolution imagery in most locations
- Added support for specifying custom paper sizes for geospatial PDF export.
- Added MapQuest OpenAerial Worldwide Imagery as built-in source
- Load many geospatial PDF files at higher resolution
- Added built-in access to Geologic Map datasets for most of the world using the Download Online Imagery/Data menu
- Many enhancements to the Digitizer tool
- New format support for LogASCII, Norwegian SOSI export, PCI Geomatix PIX, NDVI in HDF5 format, EasyGPS .loc, and several others
- Added new network licensing option with borrow feature and concurrent seat access.
- New Geospatial PDF functionality like import/export to 64-bit versions, ability to select which layer to load and ability to load multi-page PDfs with geo-positioning.
- Significantly sped up depression filling step when generating watersheds/drainage areas.
- Added built-in access to land cover datasets and generation of grids from layers.
- Many new enhancements to the Digitizer tool.
- Added support for LAS 1.4 and LASzip (compressed Lidar) files.
- Added support for JeoJSON and Digital Bathymetric Database Variable Resolution (DBDB-V).
- Added support for loading ESRI File Geodatabase (GDB) data sets.
- Added support for generating density grids from point features in a loaded layer. This density grid can be based on either just a count of the point features or any numeric attribute value associated with the points.
- Added support for joining a file with attributes to the attribute table of an existing loaded spatial layer against a common attribute.
- Added support for calculating/copying new attribute values made by copying an existing attribute or performing mathematical operations either between two attribute values or an attribute value and some number.
- Added option under View menu to zoom to the same location in Google Earth.
- Added new Image Swipe Tool to allow easily swiping away a raster layer to see other layers in an interactive manner.
- Added option to transform layer coordinates either by a manually specified coordinate transformation or with a control point file when shifting coordinates for selected layers from the Control Center in addition to just shifting a fixed distance.
- Added option to easily draw rotated area and line rectangles using the Digitizer Tool through the 3-point draw method.
- Added support for loading SegY format files.
Many other enhancements and bug fixes were made as well. See the
page at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-new-features.php for a complete list of changes.
As always, upgrades and new licenses can be purchased from the Purchase page at